This evaluation was a descriptive research. The following were included in the process:
1. Review the Program documents (proposals, progress reports,) so as to be thoroughly conversant with the projects.
2. Field work (primary data collection).
3. Development of the assessment tools (Observation, Assessment and Focused Group Discussion questions) to be used in the field to gather information.
4. Together with the CARE personnel, established the sample size and advised on selection of projects and individual respondents for the evaluation.
5. The consultant ensured that specific requirements were met through contact with the CARE personnel.
6. Program Level Qualitative Information.
Issues that were addressed include:
1. What were some of the design issues that the program needs to look at before implementation begins?
2. What were some of the hygiene issues that are related to water observed in the area?
3. What were some of the barriers to successful implementation of a sanitation programs?
4. What were some of the myths and beliefs surrounding water usage in the area that the program needs to address?
5. What were the challenges faced by the girls? Were girls more disadvantaged than boys? If so in what ways?
6. How were the household chores shared amongst the family members? How long does it take the family members to get water?
7. How did water needs affect the security in the area?