the actual works done were:-
1. Collection and collation of available past study reports, data and information.
2. Establishment of approach and methodology for the baseline survey.
3. Preparation and presentation of the inception report.
4. Reviewed the situation of the Nyando River Basin based on available statistical data and information as well as documents of past studies (demography and poverty; economic activities (agriculture, fisheries, etc); catchment characteristics; current institutional setting and function (management institutions for the Nyando River Basin); and relevant laws and regulations governing the management of the watershed.
5. Assess the magnitude of flood damages in the basin area based on past records; and scale of damage.
6. Assessed the progress situation of past and proposed flood prevention/control projects based on the relevant data and site investigations; category of the measures; benefit population; planned year, required budget, etc; and progress situation as regards implementation.
7. Assessed the change of land utilization and storm water runoff ratio based on relevant data and site investigations (geographical feature on the basin; changes of land utilization of the basin; situation of deforestation in upper catchments of Nyando river basin; and gully-erosion damage (location, the magnitude of damage, planned counter-measures, etc.); locations and extent of the existing wetlands to be indicated on the maps.
8. Assessed the conditions of river flow and rainfall gauging stations in the Nyando River basin based on the relevant data availability and site investigations (location of river flow and rainfall gauging stations (should be also displayed on the flooding area map); conditions of the gauging stations; operation and maintenance of the gauging stations; data on the sediment load levels in the Nyando River; information on the management institutions for the gauging stations; data availability of annual, monthly and daily river discharge as well as rainfall – data accumulation situation; data collection frequency; and the usage of these data and information).
9. Assessed and determined the operational status of the existing irrigation schemes (location of schemes should be also displayed on the irrigation area map; coverage; crops; condition; quality and quantities of water for irrigation; and management institutions), potential for future irrigation schemes in the basin area based on available hydrological data and information.
10. Assessed the condition of water supply and sanitation in the basin area (existing schemes – population served, conditions of facilities, etc; water sources; water demand; and water borne diseases).
11. Assessed the ground water development potential in the basin area based on available hydro-geological data and information.
12. Prepared the Baseline Survey Final Report comprised of Volume 1 – Main Report and Volume 2 – Appendices.
13. Identified the current actors in the Basin. Recommended other actors who would enhance the IWM plan through their current and envisaged activities.
14. Formulated an Integrated Watershed Management Plan including institution, legal and policy framework.